Transports ready mix concrete products from batch plants to customer job sites and unloads. Maintains proper slump (water content) of ready mix concrete. Inspects, services, and cleans concrete mixer truck.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The criteria for evaluation in this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Ability to follow directions, accurately receive, comprehend, and follow instructions from dispatch, including efficient handling of delivery tickets.
- Drives truck in a safe and efficient manner.
- Inspects destination job sites to verify the truck can be safely maneuvered.
- Maintains radio contact with dispatch.
- Cleans out and rinses chutes and the rear of the truck between loads.
- Performs pre-trip and post-trip inspections and reports vehicle condition.
- Performs daily vehicle maintenance including checking fluid levels and adding fluids as necessary, lubricating as needed, fueling the truck as necessary, and at the end of each day, replacing mud flaps, etc. May assist mechanics with vehicle repair.
- Washes vehicles with corrosive materials to clean off cement dust and concrete buildup. Occasionally uses a chipping hammer to remove concrete buildup. May be required to remove concrete buildup from inside the drum..
- Loads rebar, wire mesh and other construction materials for customers on the yard. May set up and pour retaining blocks, curbs, etc when returning to the yard with excess concrete.
- Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, customers, and the general public at all times.
- Must be willing to work overtime and weekends when necessary.
- Report to the assigned job site in proper attire and ready to begin work at the designated start time.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Policies, Programs & Procedures Manual.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
Individuals wear personal protective equipment in designated operations and production areas as required by OSHA and/or MSHA and company policy. Protective equipment that may be required for this position includes, but is not limited to: Hard Hat, Safety Glasses, High Visibility Safety Apparel, Gloves, Safety (hard toe) boots, Respiratory protection.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Individuals must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities to be able to explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations, using some combination of skills and abilities.
- Should have excellent safe driving skills. Experience on concrete mixer trucks is preferred.
- Must possess a Class B Commercial Drivers License at a minimum. A Class A Commercial Drivers License is preferred.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain, a current DOT Medical Qualification.
- Air brake skills test required for all vehicles that have air brakes.
- Must meet Driver Qualification Standards for RK Hall Construction.
- RK Hall, LLC conducts post-conditional offer background check, fitness for duty evaluation, and pre-employment drug testing.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Less than high school education; or up to six months related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education or experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stretch, reach, bend, stoop, and maintain a crouching position. Drivers climb in and out of the truck approximately 50 times per day. The seat bottom is 50 inches above the ground. The first step is two feet above the ground and the second step is one foot higher. Three point contact must be practiced.
Drivers must use manipulative and coordination skills to operate an oversize steering wheel, and coordinate hand and foot movement to shift gears of a manual transmission. The clutch requires approximately 60 lbs of force to depress with the left leg dozens of times per day.
Must be able to ascend the ladder on the back of the truck, and carry items weighing from 8 to 32 lbs up the ladder.
Must be able to pull down the main chute and attach two extension chutes. 45 lbs of pressure is needed to release the retention straps on extension chutes in their stowed location. Extension chutes weigh 60 lbs and must be lifted from the ground to the shoulder to return it to position.
Must be able to safely walk on unlevel, muddy, or icy ground at job sites.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
This position requires an employee to lift:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to west and/or humid conditions and heat or cold. Drivers are exposed to noise and vibration consistent with truck operation on rough surfaces, and from other construction machinery and job site noise, and must be able to tolerate these conditions with or without reasonable accommodations.
There is potential exposure to cement, lime, concrete admixtures, dust, diesel fuel and other potentially harmful or irritating substances. Safety practices are in place to prevent harmful exposure, and must be followed.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Working before sunrise or after sunset may be required.