Conditions of Employment
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
ATTENTION: Due to the large number of qualified applicants for positions of this type, this job announcement will close at 11:59 pm Eastern Time on either: (A) The closing date listed above or (B) The date that 100 applications are received; whichever occurs first. If the announcement closes on the date that 100 applications are received, all applications submitted by 11:59pm that day will be given consideration, including those in excess of 100.
We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible to ensure their applications are submitted before the announcement closes. We will not consider applications which are late due to the announcement closing once the above number of applications is reached.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Physical exertion is considerable and includes prolonged standing, climbing up and down ladders and scaffolding, working in cramped and awkward positions, reaching, lifting, and bending when using hand and power tools. Weight lifted may exceed 50 pounds. Assistance is usually available for handling heavier materials and equipment. Heavy exertion is required at frequent interval.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Ranges from office atmosphere to cold, hot, wet, dirty, noisy, and, on occasion, potentially unsafe work environments. Subject to bums, cuts, falls when working in typical construction environments which may be dirty, dusty, cluttered or at high accident risk.
- Must have a valid State driver's license.
- Must be available to work late shifts, weekends and holidays and is subject to being called in for emergencies to restore the Smithsonian Institution to normal operations.
- Must be available for call backs and emergency overtime as a are regular requirements of this position.
Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the job opportunity announcement.
For information on the Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations, see OPM’s web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/x-118c/index.htm.
In order to be rated qualified, an applicant's overall experience and training must indicate possession of the minimum knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform the duties of this position.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Flexible Spending Accounts - https://www.fsafeds.com/
Health Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp
Leave - http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp
Life Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp
Long Term Care Insurance - http://www.ltcfeds.com
Retirement Program - https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
How you will be evaluated:
Applications will first be evaluated to determine whether the following screen out element is met:
- Ability to lead a full range of operations, maintenance, troubleshooting, repair services associated with painting, carpentry, plumbing and electrical operations.
If an applicant meets the screen-out element, the following Job Elements will be evaluated:
- Knowledge of equipment assembly, installation, operations, repair, and maintenance (painting, carpentry, plumbing, or electrical.)
- Knowledge of technical practices associated with painting, carpentry, plumbing and electrical operations.
- Ability to use measuring instruments associated with painting, carpentry, plumbing or electrical work.
- Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, etc. (includes blueprint reading).
- Ability to use and maintain tools and equipment to perform minor repairs and maintenance.
- Knowledge of materials used to perform the following maintenance tasks, painting, plumbing, electrical or carpentry work.
Applicants who meet or exceed the screen-out element will be assigned to one of two category groups based on job-related criteria: Best Qualified - Meets the screen-out element and excels in most of the job related elements above. Qualified Category - Meets the screen-out element, but does not satisfy most of the job related elements above to a substantive degree. This category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-veterans within each category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no veteran in that category is passed over to select a non-veteran in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied. Veterans who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher.
Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs system and/or have not answered all of the announcement questions will not be considered for this position.
Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience.To preview questions please click here.
Your resume should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
Background checks and security clearance
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process